Current:Home > MyAlgosensey|Massachusetts issues tighter restrictions on access to homeless shelter system -Capitatum
Algosensey|Massachusetts issues tighter restrictions on access to homeless shelter system
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:47:51
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey unveiled new restrictions on Algosenseythe state’s homeless family shelter programs Tuesday.
Beginning Aug. 1, families who aren’t prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters will be eligible to stay at overflow sites for just five days.
Healey said she was tightening restrictions on emergency assistance system eligibility because of the system’s “continuing capacity constraints” and the need to protect its financial sustainability — in part due to the influx of migrants to the state.
Families will be prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters if they have been made homeless by a no-fault eviction or by sudden or unusual circumstances that were beyond their control, such as a flood or fire. They will also be prioritized if at least one family member is a veteran, Healey said.
Families will also continue to be prioritized if they have significant medical needs or newborn children, or are at risk of domestic violence, she said.
Families who aren’t prioritized for placement in emergency assistance shelters will be eligible to stay at what the administration refers to as “temporary respite centers” where they can stay for only five days. Such families are currently eligible to stay for 30 days at overflow shelters and can apply to extend stays. As of Aug. 1, families who stay at a temporary respite center will be required to wait six months or more for placement in the emergency family shelter system.
“We have been saying for months now that the rapid growth of our Emergency Assistance shelter system is not sustainable. Massachusetts is out of shelter space, and we simply cannot afford the current size of this system,” Healey said in a statement.
Amy Carnevale, who chairs the state Republican Party, said Healey “is finally implementing some of the measures we’ve been advocating.”
Earlier this year, Healey announced that families would have to recertify every month to remain in Massachusetts overflow shelter sites, in part by documenting their efforts to find a path out of the system, including by looking for housing or a job.
The change comes after the state barred homeless families from sleeping overnight at Logan International Airport in Boston.
Families on the emergency assistance shelter waitlist who had been sleeping at Logan have been offered transfers to the state’s safety-net system, including a Norfolk site that opened to accommodate up to 140 families.
Beginning June 1, the state also began limiting how long homeless families can stay in shelters to nine months. After that, families are eligible for up to two 90-day extensions.
The latest restrictions are another departure from the the state’s unique 1986 right-to-shelter law, which guaranteed homeless families shelter without restrictions.
Last year, Healey declared a state of emergency, capping shelter capacity at 7,500 families.
Healey said her administration has focused on getting immigrants work authorizations, English classes, and placed into jobs to give them the tools they need to move into stable housing.
veryGood! (85154)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Caitlin Clark points tracker: When will Iowa basketball star break NCAA scoring record?
- Dolphins vs. Chiefs weather: Saturday's AFC playoff may be one of coldest postseason games
- Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Kalen DeBoer is a consummate ball coach. But biggest unknown for Alabama: Can he recruit?
- Fire from Lebanon kills 2 Israeli civilians as the Israel-Hamas war rages for 100th day
- Top geopolitical risks for 2024 include Ungoverned AI and Middle East on the brink, report says
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Patrick Mahomes leads Chiefs to 26-7 playoff win over Miami in near-record low temps
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- These Storage Solutions for Small Spaces Are Total Gamechangers
- Tisa Farrow, 1970s actress who became a nurse, dies at 72, sister Mia Farrow says
- Senior Pakistani politician meets reclusive Taliban supreme leader in Afghanistan
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- MILAN FASHION PHOTOS: Simon Cracker’s upcycled looks are harmonized with dyeing. K-Way pops color
- Browns QB Joe Flacco unravels in NFL playoff rout as Texans return two interceptions for TDs
- CVS closing dozens of pharmacies inside Target stores
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Japan’s Kishida visits quake-hit region as concerns rise about diseases in evacuation centers
Spoilers! Why 'American Fiction' ends with an 'important' scene of Black representation
Man wrongfully convicted of sexual assault gets $1.75 million after 35 years in prison
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Iowa principal who risked his life to protect students during a high school shooting has died
Thousands at Saturday 'March for Gaza' in Washington DC call for Israel-Hamas cease-fire
Lynn Yamada Davis, Cooking with Lynja TikTok chef, dies at age 67